Saturday, October 30, 2010

Just Because You're Doing It, Doesn't Mean You're Doing It Well...

I know that I'm a big believer that all companies need to start getting into the social media world and testing it out. Customers are searching for you on Facebook and Twitter, and if you aren't there, they'll find someone else who is. Also, who wouldn't want to know what's being said about their companies... just because a customer isn't willing to make a comment to you directly, doesn't mean they aren't making it at all and if you can't capture what they're saying quickly enough, the damage will be done.

Now, just because you jump in and start a Facebook Page or a Twitter, doesn't mean you're doing it right. If you aren't willing to try out different methods, experiment with a variety of ideas, or engage with your customers on both positive and negative feedback, you're going to have problems.

One of the most frustrating things to deal with just may be customer feedback and how a company chooses to interact with them. I recently had a horrible experience with a hotel, where they EVENTUALLY responded to my complaint via twitter after I had made one to the hostess, but neither made a difference in my outcome and no one actually helped me. My angry tweets may have done more damage than they realized, as I conversed with my followers about what was going on, where I was, and why I was upset. All their tweet managed to do was confirm they didn't actually care about what was said online, or know what they were doing.

So, when you decide to move your company online, remember that customer service is just as important there as it is in your store or hotel. Customer service is everything.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie! I totally agree that social media engagement is essential for any business wanting to stay relevant. You also make a great point with the hotel in question that social media has its limitations and can actually do harm if it is used instead of good old fashioned face time and customer service:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the comment, Jeffrey! I'm glad you enjoyed my post... I think hotels are definitely jumping on the band wagon, they just need to make sure they're doing a better job.

    ReplyDelete